About SquidManSquidMan is a MacOS X graphical installer and manager for the Squid proxy cache. It is designed to operate as a "personal" proxy server.
When you run Squid on a MacOS X computer, it can:
- cache downloaded content, reducing network traffic and improving browsing performance on slow links
- act as a proxy server for other computers on your subnet
- restore the operation of some MacOS X applications that normally fail through authenticated proxy servers
What's new - announcing SquidMan 3.1 (May 21, 2011)I'm pleased to announce the release of version 3.1 of SquidMan.
The only change between this and the previous version 3.0 is that the bundled version of Squid has been upgraded to 3.1.12. This version has been tested on Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger, on both Intel and PPC hardware.
If you're upgrading from a version of SquidMan earlier than 3.0, please note that some of the values in the template used by older versions of SquidMan are incompatible with the new version of Squid, and will generate errors or at least warnings when Squid is started. Thus, versions of SquidMan from 3.0 and higher need to replace the template file. If you have ever modified the template to add your own customisations, your changes will be lost during the upgrade. If you have modified the template from the default, be sure to save the old template before upgrading to SquidMan 3.1. After the upgrade, you will need to manually merge your changes back into the new template.
System requirementsThe current release of SquidMan requires MacOS X 10.4 or higher.
FeedbackYou can mail me at the address below with feedback, suggestions or bug reports about SquidMan. Because I have a regular job, and write software in my spare time, please don't be offended if I don't reply.
DownloadsThe current and all previous releases of SquidMan can be downloaded here. The SquidMan download includes documentation on how to install and use SquidMan.
- version 3.1 (2.8M) (compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 through 10.7)
- version 3.0 (2.6M) (compatible with Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6)
- version 2.5 (3.7M) (compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5)
- version 2.0 (3.2M) (compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5)
- version 1.8 (1.9M) (last release for Mac OS X 10.3)
- version 1.61 (1.6M) (last release for Mac OS X 10.2)
- version 1.52 (1.1M)
- version 1.51 (1.1M)
- version 1.50 (1.4M)
- version 1.1 (1.0M)
SquidMan is Copyright © 2003-11 Tony Gray and may be freely distributed. The icon is by Samuel Krueger ("pixeljerk").